Asia and the Middle East
Medical tourism packages are considered a standard in Asian medical tourism
making the overall package cost-effective and customer friendly.
Most major hospitals in Asia catering to international patients can help you with transportation, accommodation arrangements, interpreters and even Visa and insurance.
- Thailand leads the Asian countries in the number of medical tourist arrivals every year – more than a million – coming from all over the world.
- India, with modern facilities being built and an abundance of highly trained medical personnel comes in a close second with half a million medical tourist arrivals every year.
- Singapore, although slightly more expensive than its neighboring countries, Singapore has one of the best health systems in the world and is a favorite destination among Asians and Australians.
- Malaysia offers excellent facilities and competitive prices and draws mostly medical travelers from neighboring countries such as Indonesia and Singapore.
- Turkey is an attractive choice for Europeans and Arab visitors, with the highest numbers of JCI accredited hospitals and it's proximity to Europe.
- Other health tourism destinations in Asia include Israel, The Philippines and China.
EuropeMedical tourism in Europe
has grown tremendously in the past decade, as Europeans from the richer countries such as United Kingdom, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Austria, Ireland and Netherlands seek affordable private healthcare in Eastern Europe. Cheap flights, open borders and all inclusive packages cause this market to grow every year.
- Spain's health system has excellent reputation, making it a favorite destination for people from UK and Ireland for procedures ranging from face peel to complicated neurosurgery.
- Turkey which was mentioned earlier, is on the border of Europe and Asia, and is fast becoming a destination of choice for eye care, orthopedic surgery, cosmetic surgery and many other medical procedures.
- Germany has an excellent healthcare system, and is considered a top destination for patients from the Middle East, UK and the United States who looking for high quality medical care.
- Hungary is a preferred destination mainly for Dental tourism, cosmetic procedures, hair restoration etc.
- Poland offers dental, cosmetic procedures and orthopedic surgery at prices much lower then in Western Europe.
- Other medical tourism destinations in Europe include Austria
American healthcare patients who may be hard-pressed with the rising healthcare costs in the US may find Latin America a practical solution for medical care. Not only are these countries within close distance from the USA, they are filled by US-trained and Board certified medical practitioners.
Compared to their Asian counterparts, Latin American medical travel
does not offer the luxury of a well-established infrastructure nor the topnotch technology. However, they make up for this drawback by the unparalleled competence of their medical professionals and the proximity to United States and Canada.
- Mexico has been largely credited for a variety of cosmetic and plastic surgeries as well as dental procedures and bariatric treatments. Lying just across the southern border of the United States, many of the healthcare facilities in Mexico are run and manned by US, if not US-trained, health professionals.
- Costa Rica is another Latin American country that combines its vast natural resources with internationally recognized expertise in the area of cosmetic surgery, bariatric surgery and dental care. American medical tourists flock to Costa Rica because the competence of its healthcare professionals and the short flight times from the United States.
- Panama is also an ideal medical tourism destination for treatments such as plastic surgery and cancer therapy. American medical tourists can readily enter the country with a tourist visa.
- Argentina became highly attractive for medical tourism after its currency plummeted in favor of the US dollars.
- Colombia is another favorite destination for cosmetic surgery because of its well-trained staff as most of the physicians studied in Britain or the United States.
- Brazil, a long-time player in cosmetic surgery but considered a newbie in the non-cosmetic field, is another destination of choice when considering the Latin America sphere. However, a Visa is still required should US Citizens opt to visit Brazil for medical tourism purposes.
- South Africa is the leading medical tourism destination in Africa, having the best healthcare system south of the Sahara. It attracts patients from other African countries such as Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana and Tanzania, as well as some America and European patients.